Have you ever sat and wondered why social media has gained as much influence in our daily lives as it has? Or ever really gave thought to how it now influences our day to day decisions? Social Media started with MySpace those many years ago. From customizable background images all the way to a music playlist you could control, it really was the big “thing” but it only catered to the younger generation.
Then, Facebook hit the cyberspace. The website’s membership was initially limited by the founders to Harvard students, but was expanded to other colleges and by September 2006, to everyone of age 13 and older with a valid e-mail address. As that focus changed and Facebook became an open-ended communications tool, we saw MySpace start to fade into obscurity. With that fade, the Social Media revolution was in full swing.
The Boomer generation statistically relied more heavily on print media and other traditional modes of marketing. With a little help they quickly started seeing the huge potential social media presented for their businesses. Now, our amazing Boomer generation has helped shape Social Media and how user-friendly it’s platforms are designed!
So, here we are. Almost 10 years since the launch of the Social Media Revolution and it’s still going stronger than ever!
Here are just a few statistics –
- 59% of Americans with social media accounts think that customer service through social media has made it easier to get questions answered and issues resolved.
- Over 50 million businesses use Facebook Business Pages.
- 2 million business use Facebook for advertising.
- Facebook’s total revenue grew 56% in 2016, and advertising revenue grew 59%.
- Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, with 79% of American internet users. Based on total population, (not just internet users) 68% of U.S. adults are on Facebook.
- 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors, compared to 70% of daily usage in 2015.
- 75% of male internet users are on Facebook as well as 83% of female internet users.
As you can see, Social Media has shaped how we connect, interact and reach new customers and maintain relationships with existing clients. A strong social media stragety is imperative for a business to successfully reach it’s target demographic. How you manage your page, establish the voice and interact with fans can easily make or break your brand. If you’re struggling to maintain your business page (life gets busy!) or you just need help getting it back on track, that’s where we can help! Our Social Media Department has been in full operation since Facebook first hit the scene. It is our goal to consistently stay ahead of the trends, changes and many evolutions Facebook (and other Social Media platforms) experience. Give us a call!